I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

1.12.2006

2 Whole Weeks Old


Jordan turned 2 weeks old today. And it's incredible to watch her grow. The outfit she's wearing today was too big last week. It fits perfectly this week. She is so much more aware of the world these days. It's amazing to see her watching and looking and listening to everything around her.

Her alert time is messing with our sleep pattern. I'm not too sure if I remember this challenge with Cameron. She slept a really good amount of time last night -- From 11:30 until 4:30am. She ate for an hour (with a big burp break in the middle). And once I got her second burp out, she was wide awake until 6:30. I was pooped. So I didn't even get to see Cam in the morning, I just let his Poppy take him to school. We slept until 9:30.

So in the last two weeks, I've done a lot of web surfing to learn about ABS and what we need to do next. From what I've read, I can't tell you how lucky we are to have Jordan. Amniotic bands can cause unbelievable damage to a baby. Some of the cases I've seen are just terrible. In the majority of ABS cases, the babies die in the womb before 12 weeks. No one knows why it happens. Statistics show ABS cases happen from every 1 in 1200 to every 1 in 15,000 pregnancies. There are amazing prosthetics out there... and there is an obvious difference between above elbow amputees and below elbow amputees. From the looks of things, I think above elbow may offer Jordan more challenges. But I'm not sure. Only time will tell.

Cameron still tells me he's sad about Jordan's arm. I'm not sure how to help him, except to explain to him that we know Jordan is going to be just fine without her hand. He's a sweetie.

No comments: