I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

6.17.2006

Grocery trip

Jordan got to sit in the cart and smile at everyone during her first real shopping trip at the grocery store. Sure, she's been there in her baby car seat. But today was the first time I took her with her almost-figured out skill in sitting up. I have a cart cover that includes a pillow that helped her sit comfortably.

Jordan grinned at every person we walked by... Many said hi and cooed over her beautiful smile. I think Jordan had the most fun just looking at all of the colors on the boxes and cans. Her eyes were big the whole time.

The one thing she didn't like - the sound of the carts crashed when we first got there. I usually would get her set into her cart in the parking lot, but it was raining... And those crashing carts were LOUD. She was very upset. But fortunately, she got over it pretty quick.

I'll be honest. I've kind of avoided going to the grocery store with Jordan because of some stories I've heard from other amputee parents... I've heard so many stories of strange and uncomfortable incidents with people asking strange questions or making innapropriate comments about missing limbs. Of course, nothing happened today. And I've quickly learned that most people will say hi to Jordan, probably notice her arm late into their conversation with her and move on without saying anything. So our visit to the grocery store was uneventful and I'm very happy about that.

No comments: