I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

3.04.2006

Going with the flow

So it looks like I didn't jinx myself. Jordan is actually sleeping 8 straight hours. She takes one food break and sleeps for another 4. We're on our way to 12 hours a night. I'm thrilled that she's following the same sleeping pattern as Cam. We'll see if we can continue this pattern when I return to work. I'm nervous about her sleeping in a day care setting. I'm nervous about getting home in time to get her to bed. I'm nervous about her figuring out bottles... Because she is so not into them. Going back to work stresses me out and I have 3 weeks left.

Anyway. Jordan is going with the flow. I took her to Cam's swim lessons today. She was so good even though it was hot and clammy in that room. I met another very nice woman who talked to me about Jordan's arm. You know I'm so fickle about this. I don't want people to stare, I want them to ask questions. But I miss having normal conversations that don't require you to really get to know the stranger standing next to you admiring your baby. You know: "Aww. Cute baby." "Thanks." And you move on. I guess I'm just getting used to living a life with a child who is a bit different. I kind of liked living in anomynity. But the more often Jordan and I go out, we will be remembered by anyone who meets us.

So that picture at the top is of Jordan during "tummy time." It's the first developmental challenge we're facing with her missing arm. I bought a toy to try and make tummy time more fun and it seems to be helping. Of course after talking to an occupational therapist, I could have just rolled up a towel and put her on a blanket. Oh well. It is a cool toy. She is a bit more comfortable on her belly and her little arm isn't as stressed.

No comments: