I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

2.12.2006

My new personal obsession

After seeing Jordan's x-ray, I'm now obsessed with the possibility of constructing an elbow. I found a picture online of just the humerus. I'm not sure if she has a capitellum. That's something the doctors may be able to know by looking at her x-ray. I know she has muscles under the humerus bone... And I'm wondering if she has the tendons that would help actually move an implanted "elbow bone" There really isn't a such thing as an elbow bone... it's just the upper and lower arm bones put together.
I really want that tendon that can attach to a "lower bone" like in that picture. Now I want an MRI to see the muscle tone and what is in there. I realize I'm dreaming here... But if she has the muscle structure, she could get a "fake elbow" and it would make it so damned easier to use a prosthetic. Someday -- I think she'd be a perfect candidate for an arm transplant. But once again... I'm obsessing about technologies that don't exist. Arm or no arm, this kid is going to be fine. I just want the world for her and I'm hoping to learn as much as I can to know every option she can have.

No comments: