I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

2.10.2006

Gunky six week old

Six weeks old! Jordan coughed her way into her 6 week old birthday. She has a case of the gunkies like everyone else in the house. The doctor's office says I'm doing everything I can to help her. So I'm trying not to freak out.

I took Jordan to the hospital yesterday for an x-ray of her little arm. The prosthetic company wanted to have a good idea of her bone structure before making a prosthetic. It was very interesting... She has the entire humerus bone -- including the needed growth plate. The growth plate is the developing tissue near the end of the long bones in children. Each long bone has at least two growth plates: one at each end. The growth plate determines the future length and shape of the mature bone. When growth is complete-sometime during adolescence-the growth plates are replaced by solid bone. That's a good thing for Jordan. At least that bone should grow with her the way it is supposed to.

Smirky lookJordan has been a bit clingy... But I would be too if I wasn't feeling great. She spent most of today eating and sleeping. She actually slept six straight hours last night! Pretty amazing for a little girl who feels crummy. Who knows what will happen tonight.

No comments: