I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

7.15.2007

What an adventure

So we spent the day with all kinds of families of kids with limb differences... My favorite quote of the day from Cam: "There's all kinds of kids here with little arms!" Probably since we didn't make a big deal about today's event except that we told him we were going to something that was going to be REALLY FUN.

And it was REALLY FUN.

We took part in the Helping Hands Summer Outing. We got to spend the day eating, making crafts, playing in a bounce house (well, Cam did), swimming, winning things in a raffle (we got a bocce ball/horseshoe set that weighs a TON), getting toys and even getting anything we want from an ice cream truck!! Jordan passed out on me while we lined up for the last treat of the day, but I really think both kids had a good time.

What I think was the coolest part was having the kids hang out with other kids like Jordan. It was also interesting to talk to the few parents with younger kids (I'd have to say most kids were in elementary school with the limb differences) was finding out the various different challenges they've all dealt with. Jordan's low muscle tone isn't what one kids has... But he's had a lot of speech issues. Other kids had a tough time walking like Jordan. But all of the kids are happy and that was what was most important. It was nice to just walk up to people and know they understand the extra challenges and successes we have in our lives. I also met a few families I've met online. That's pretty exciting to meet people face to face!

Today's great day is just one of many since we've been on our long trek across the country. The kids have been really good on the trip. I'll admit, they've sustained through many, many DVDs. Jordan's favorite is a wild animals DVD with Elmo. What's great is Cam laughs along with it. Sweet stuff.

Before we got to Massachusetts, we spent time in Pennsylvania. Jordan got to meet new friends and also learned to love time with baby dolls. She was wrapping a doll up in a blanked and placing it in a "bed." She was also feeing it with a bottle and giving it a pacifier. ADORABLE. There's a lot of girl in my girl! She's hugging and loving the dolls I packed more since her time in PA. Sweet stuff.

Jordn also got to meet a family friend who she took a quick liking to (and that doesn't happen every day). My Uncle Steve just won her heart. She let him take her outside and read books to her. It was just great to watch. We get to go back to his house tomorrow after an exciting day with a Major League Soccer team. Fun! I wish I could be on vacation more often. I'm really enjoying the family time... Although I have gotten a bit stressed periodically -- But I think that's just in my character.

No comments: