I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

7.25.2006

Avocado and Banana

Sweet peas!Who knew mashed up avocado and a splash of mashed up banana would please my child so. It's the first food I've given her that makes her excited. She takes a bite and waves her arms and legs around in pure happiness. It's amazing. Even her teachers were astounded by her reaction. It's just THAT good. Of course, I've been so amused, I haven't caught any video or pictures of it yet. This is a picture of her eating peas. It makes her smile, but she doesn't get all worked up like avocados.

So yesterday, I started bringing in food for Jordan to eat in the afternoon. The doctor encouraged me to offer her a little something in the evening so she has two solid meals a day. I've been sluggish to do it since she just hasn't demanded it. Cameron led me more along with his needs in the food department as a baby. But Jordan is so relaxed, she'll just take what she's given. She doesn't have any demands yet. At this point with Cam, he was demanding that he eat cheerios and he wouldn't eat from a spoon until he could master the self-feeding. Jordan doesn't even have teeth yet. The littlest differences are already showing me how these two kids are going to have different personalities. Maybe she won't be as crazy when she's four.

We can only hope.

As all of the babies get older at work, I'm trying really hard to not compare and contrast the various milestones they are all reaching. I'd have to say Jordan is rocking them all out on the sitting up thing. But the others are much more mobile. This weekend, Jordan started attempting to push with her feet, hopefully our first step towards getting up on her "elbows" and knees. I'm really not that disappointed about Jordan's lack of need to move around. It keeps her safer. I can walk away from her when she's in the middle of my bed for a minute and know she's not going to roll off. But I would like to work on getting her moving to help her developmentally. She's also warming up to her prosthetic time. She wore it for about 30 minutes yesterday during play time at school without any trouble. That's pretty fantastic.

1 comment:

C Tabin said...

Gosh, Jen, she is so cute! I'm glad she's doing well with everything! I hope you are all enjoying your summer in Columbia!