I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

6.03.2007

A fun day at the park

We spent the day at an event called Art in the Park. We got to see cool art, eat yummy food and watch the kids play. The best part for Jordan was a huge sand area to play. She was almost swimming in it. She was a mess and I didn't care.

We had a few interesting moments while we were playing. While Cam was getting his face painted, Jordan and I chased each other around her stroller. A woman who was working with the face paint booth told me she remembered seeing Jordan at a theater event this spring and said she thought Jordan is as beautiful as ever. With any other kid I'd think they were joking about remembering a child from an event from months ago... But Miss Jordan is memorable. And honestly, it was a sweet comment about my girl.

But I had another situation with a little child that I'm a bit stumped on how to handle.. Especially since it keeps happening. A little girl who was probably around three years old walked up to Jordan from behind and started touching Jordan's arm. Jordan was tired from all of the excitement and didn't like being touched. The only thing I could say to the little girl was -- "It feels just like your arm. There's nothing different, it's just smaller." The little girl asked where Jordan's elbow was -- which I thought was kind of cute. She was more worried about the elbow than the hand. That was new. I gave her the standard "that's how she was born." Her mom said "and that makes her really special." How do I keep kids from touching Jordan's arm? How do I help Jordan react well when she is touched when she gets older enough to let kids know that she will be their friend but she doesn't want to be touched? I want Jordan to be approachable. But I don't want to her to feel violated.

No comments: