I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

8.03.2007

Torn between little girl and baby

When we were at the summer Helping Hands event near Boston, we met a really cool family I've talked to a number of times online. Their daughter is a month older than Jordan and missing her right arm below the elbow... She seems SO much older than Jordan physically. And I thought about it and I've been thinking about it since then. Jordan is so small and cute and a bit delayed physically -- But emotionally, she's right on track. And to me, that's a little confusing. She's so certain about her abilities and opinions... It makes me wonder if I'm getting in the way at all in her development. I watch her at school - she follows commands and does a lot of great things on her own: gets her chair to the table on her own, puts cups and plates in the bin after she's done. She follows directions from me at home, but I have to stop and think and make sure I'm not doing anything for her that might be causing any delays.

Since we got home, I'm making sure she goes up and down the stairs on her own. I'm trying not to carry Jordan around. She's a fantastic communicator so I know when she wants something. She's emotional and demanding. It's all very typical 2 year old stuff (and she just turned 19 months old). SO I'm not concerned. But I hope I'm not delaying her in her physical growth. I'm not hearing any concerns from the therapists, but it's still something that's been on my mind lately.

Kids Jordan's age can run... Jordan's getting there. She can walk fast. Kids Jordan's age can jump. When I bounce Jordan like jumping, she LOVES it... But she doesn't have the balance to jump yet. Here's my big crazy mommy concern. If she's missing things physically at a young age, does that hurt her cognitive development? I know it's nutty, but Cam had even more words and knew colors at this age. I know that wasn't normal. But is all of the extra effort to meet physical milestones going to delay Jordan's potential cognitively? Is there anything I can do to prevent that? Once again. I don't want to be a crazy mommy, but the crazy mommy in my gut worries.

I'm silly. I know it. But I guess this is why I have a blog - I can throw these thoughts out there instead of leaving them in my brain.

No comments: