I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

4.29.2007

16 Months Old

Jordan,
Today you turned 16 months old! I can't believe you're this big. At the same time, you prove it every day. You are trying so hard to talk. I left town this past month. It was the first time I had been away from you. EVER. I was nervous. When I came back, I noticed you kept growing when I wasn't looking! You started getting aggravated when I couldn't read your mind. You've started screaming to try and drive the point home. I'm working hard on trying to show you other ways to communicate. We've been in the car on some short road trips the last two weekends. When you start your loud high-pitched squeals, it makes your dad's head spin. My tolerance level is a bit higher than his... But it can make my head spin after a while as well.

I'm pretty excited about how big you're getting. You can say night night, bye bye, hi, uh oh, dog, bubba, dudley, duck, wow, mama, dada, more, yes, no, ball... You can even make a barking sound like a dog. I know there are more. And the thing you do every time you want more of something: You say "moh!" You make the sign for "please" at the same time and flash this HUGE smile like you know you've already gotten what you want. It's an awesome, pure happiness. I smile every time.

I smile a lot with you. This is such a wonderful time watching you grow. This past month, you started getting closer and closer to walking. You got amazing at standing up on furniture and walking along all kinds of stuff. This past week, you started standing without holding onto anything. Every time you do that I brim with pride. You're figuring everything out by yourself on your own pace. You know what you want and you'll do it when you're ready. I'll be honest. It's hard for me to be patient. But I'll work on that. That's my problem, not yours.

I get to work late some mornings because you are so happy. I just can't rush out of the house. The time we spend together is probably why you cling to me. We're alone together a lot... In the morning, at appointments... You love to cuddle on me. If I'm in the room, you need to be with me. If I'm not in the room, you look for me. I'm sure that I'm to blame for that. Sorry. But as you get more and more independent, I know you won't need me as much.

By the way, you still suck your thumb every time you hold your little lamby blanket. If I ask you if you want your blankey, you smile big and beat your chest saying "please" in sign language. Once again. I smile right back at you.

No comments: