I decided to start blogging about Jordan from the moment I found out I was pregnant. Jordan was born with a little arm that didn't grow like most babies. Her left arm stopped just above the elbow. Now I'm committed to making sure Jordan gets everything out of life. We feel blessed to be the parents of a very special little girl.

9.22.2008

An amazing thing in the U.S. Senate

I'm not one to try to talk politics here on this web page... I do that during my day at work. But I did want to let anyone know who would be interested about a new bipartisan bill that was introduced in the U.S. Senate on Friday. It was introduced with the support of the Amputee Coalition of America (ACA). The bill is called the "Group Health Plan Prosthetics Parity Act of 2008" and is designed to make sure all health care plans actually make it affordable for amputees to use prosthetics. This has been one of the biggest worries I've held deep inside my heart as I think about the long term needs Jordan might have when she gets older. Right now our health care plan has been pretty helpful with payments for her prosthetics. I was really worried about what would happen once she grew out of our health care and she needed to use her own company. Hopefully this will give her access to prosthetics IF she wants to use one. Who knows. I feel a little bit better if this bill moves through.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I will be hoping with you.

I ran into my friend the other day who is just like Jordan with a little arm, and she's amazing. She never chose to use a prosthetic. She's got a daughter now that's just a bit younger than your Jordan. I gave her your blog name but didn't have your url with me. I know my friend would love to speak with you.

twin power mommy ♥ said...

That's really a cool bill.
I, too, always worried about Caitlyn and what kind of care she's gonna receive after she no longer is under OUR health insurance.
I'll be praying that goes through.